[e2e] a means to an end

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Nov 8 02:55:41 PST 2008

of course, in the UK, since we don't have id cards,
we dont really know if the IP address is assigned to a person - its
assigned potentially to an alias[*]:)

but with the amount of UK cctv surveillance, we sure know where
that alias is most of the time...

so maybe that's what we need - a webcam on every end point and youtube
to log where each end point is located, then we just go to youtube,
search for the name or other attributes of our end point (e.g.
"3 year old explaining plot of star wars"
yields->
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1804047
and then we can continue our conversation...

j.

[*] "alias" - the name used by Bob Dylan on film in the movie Pat
Garrett&Billy the Kid, instead of his real identity, Robert Zimmerman.
In missive <9CAC624A-BBAA-44FD-9ADD-BAA63F46B606 at surrey.ac.uk>, Lloyd Wood type
d:

 >>Fred, you did write RFC3924.
 >>
 >>On 8 Nov 2008, at 01:07, Fred Baker wrote:
 >>> AFAIK, IP addresses are not assigned to people.
 >>
 >>DTN work: http://info.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/saratoga/
 >>
 >><http://info.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk>

 cheers

   jon