[e2e] a means to an end

Stefanos Harhalakis v13 at v13.gr
Sat Nov 8 11:06:18 PST 2008

On Saturday 08 November 2008, David P. Reed wrote:
> possible pairings of customers.  Should the routers in Russia know when
> a Georgian raising money for military support travels between NY and
> China?  If that person never needs to talk to a Russian, why distribute
> the tracking data in any form, much less distribute it to places where
> communications will never be sought?

  The words 'If' and 'never' in the above sentence are very hard to analyze
and very difficult to prove. I believe that the sort answer is 'yes they
should'. Adding such low-level barriers and borders to the Internet doesn't
seem a good idea.

  Don't forget that much of Internet traffic (if not the majority) is -or
started as- non company-related. Thus, I'd rephrase your question as:

"Should a kid in Russia be able to play a p2p on-line game with a Georgian kid
and also browse a chinese web server?"

  Perhaps the above sentences aren't exactly what you mean. At some point
you're talking about something like 'on-demand routing' but considering the
number of remote-ends (I don't call them destinations) an ISP communicates
with at any point of time, most probably the whole world is covered.