[e2e] a means to an end

Lynne Jolitz lynne at telemuse.net
Mon Nov 10 13:03:48 PST 2008

I assume by Fred's "MPLS on Ethernet" mention that the reason underlying
their unusual approach is that they see no point (except more overhead)
in the additional layers below an MPLS routing layer, so the end-points
are the only things that matter (while ignoring of course, diagnostics,
blockage identification and so forth).

But let's take this further. An old suggestion proposed at an IETF in
the early 1980's was similarly to disconnect the appearance of the
routing layer and visibility of the network itself and tunnel everything
on top of the network, so you'd have a layer 3 network encapsulated on
top of a layer-3 network not visible except within the routing cloud.
This was to hide the actual infrastructure so it couldn't be attacked.
One could even encapsulate with TCP instead of IP such that you could
allocate bandwidth portions and routes in an independent way - more like
an OC IS-to-IS routing scheme. The view was the only people who cared
about routing were the ones who could see how it was working, so why be
open to DDOS attacks on the routers themselves, and also so as to
promote quality. This was before BGP.

So now we've got a Chinese proposal on MPLS-on-Ethernet. The advantage
of their approach is that at layer 2 you can do it with mindless
switches and spanning tree algorithms. This means very efficient, very
low power, very dumb routers. Can this be produced? Yes, in massive
quantities. Would people buy this? Very likely if cheap enough.

How would massive deployment impact the Internet? That's one I'm
wondering about. Lynne Jolitz.