[e2e] a means to an end

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Nov 10 16:07:02 PST 2008

Two quick responses:

1. In a planet scale network, with jurisdictions that claim the right to
do things like a) block specific correspondents from talking to each
other with packets that pass through their subnets, b) spy on traffic
passing through their domain to gain market advantage or intelligence,
c) use packets passing through their domain to track and target (for
assassination) various individuals by their address info, d) insert
packets to spoof endpoints into thinking their correspondent is breaking
a connection or whatever, ...  then one might want to have alternatives
to the "standard" routing chose by the gods of the Internet. (I hope the
metaphors are seen as a general issue, the problem today is *very* real,
and not the same when viewed from different perspectives at the endpoints).

Do you believe in one world government?  If so, I might believe that the
equilibrium state for you would be a single "optimum".   If not, why do
you think that all people would agree to a single set of paths for their
most valuable communications?

The fantasy can be maintained only if you believe networks are economic
or mathematical abstractions that fit postulates created by the Computer
Science Gods at the NSF review panels who decide what is valid to think
about and design.  Or some other pretender to omniscience - pick the one
you want to bow down to.  (the same clean mathematical theorist's
fantasy of convergence to stable equilibrium has dominated economics for
50 years.  Look where that got us...)

2. My point about UUCP was that it coexisted side-by-side with the
Internet, delivering mail and carrying files without using TCP, IP or
anything else, but it had a routing layer.  Later it just became
vestigial, an app on top of the Internet, but in its early days, when
the Internet was far from a foregone conclusion, Unix machines made
point-to-point connections that routed traffic over whatever circuits it
could have access to (including direct dialup links).  But then I am
probably a lot older than you are.