[e2e] Packet reordering in Internet

Per Hurtig (work) per.hurtig at kau.se
Mon Aug 24 02:44:44 PDT 2009

Hi Matthias,

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:25, Krause,
Matthias<matthias.krause at philips.com> wrote:
> Hi Per,

I know that TCP is sorting incoming packets, I should have specified
my question better :) What I was wondering is if packets are more
likely to be reordered in data centers than in the regular Internet,
due to the specific architecture of data centers.

For instance, I've seen papers that argue that packet reordering is
more prevalent in high-speed environments, e.g. [1], and data centers
would likely belong to this type of environment.

[1] "Packet reordering in high-speed networks and its impact on
high-speed TCP variants". Feng, Jie and Ouyang, Zhipeng and Xu, Lisong
and Ramamurthy, Byrav. In Computer Communications 32(1), pp. 62-68,
January 2009.

> No, for any application using UDP that is aware of the problem (and most are)
>
> It is basically the problem of the network layer and it has to be solved on the network layer.
> If it would be an issue, the Internet would not have been successful.
>
> Regards
>
> Matthias
>
> The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Regards, Per