[e2e] TCP Loss Differentiation

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Feb 9 08:24:53 PST 2009

Before going too far in this direction, one should note that unicast
traffic on layer 2 transports commonly used in practice for Internet
transport has negligible loss rates, even on wireless networks such as
802.11.

The problem of differentiation arises when attempting to elide layer 2
functionality and run "TCP/IP on bare PHY".  Otherwise "link loss rate"
is a concept without much reality at layer 3.  We don't run TCP/IP on
bare PHY layers.  We run it on layer 2 protocol, over PHY layers, which
protocols always have high reliability today.  Some  multicast layer 3
protocols run on unreliable layer 2 multicast protocols (such as 802.11
multicast), but TCP/IP never uses multicast.

Layer 3 losses are nearly always the result of *only* 2 very different
phenomena: 1) buffer overflow drops due to router/switch congestion
queue management or 2) layer 2 breaks in connectivity.

Thinking about "link loss rates" is a nice academic math modeling
exercise for a world that doesn't exist, but perhaps the practical
modeling differentiation should focus on  these two phenomena, rather
than focusing on "link loss rates".  The "connectivity break" case
(which shows up in 802.11 when the NIC retransmits some number of times
- 255?) doesn't have very good statistical models, certainly not the
kind of models that can be baked into TCP's congestion/rate control
algorithms.  And that model is not likely to be poisson, or any
distribution easily characterized by a "rate parameter".