[e2e] TCP Loss Differentiation

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Feb 10 04:31:18 PST 2009

I absolutely agree that there are non-congestion-related sources of
packet loss!  All I was suggesting is that one should not use the term
"loss rate" to characterize them.

A "loss process" would be a mathematically more sound term, because it
does not confuse the listener into thinking that there is a simplistic,
memoryless, one-parameter model that can be "discovered" by TCP's
control algorithms.

That said, I was encouraging a dichotomy where the world is far more
complicated: congestion drops vs. connectivity drops.  One *might* be
able to make much practical headway by building a model and a theory of
"connectivity drops".

That's all I'm trying to say.  If this clarifies my point, I apologize
for communicating it so poorly before.

Well, actually there is one other thing I was hoping to suggest: that
this second category called "connectivity drops" is an emergent systems
property, and is best not thought of as a "link" property.  Link
measurements cannot be easily used to characterize the "loss process"
here - you need *systems-level* measurements (of, for a simple example,
the loss events that come when a car using 3G Data is driving down the
Autobahn with soft-handoffs between cell sites - we are not talking
about "links" here; and the same thing shows up in 802.11s meshes, where
I have some significant measurement experience - the OLPC XO computers
run into this all the time because of the layer 2 mesh).