[e2e] Data flow models for real-time applications

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Tue Feb 17 05:06:44 PST 2009

There have certainly been attempts to develop data structures intended to
model a real-time flow -- e.g. the ST-2 flow specs and token buckets come
to mind.

But to better answer your question, I think you need to clarify what you
mean by "instantaneous model of a flow for real-time applications".
What makes the model instantaneous?  (Do you mean you adjust it in
real-time? Or that you can specify a sufficiently good model of the flow
before it starts?).  What are you trying to model about the flow? (The delay
constrained traffic within the flow? the total traffic load?  a layered
traffic/delay model?).  What is your definition of real-time?  (Sufficient
for playback?  Sufficient for two-way conversation?).

Thanks!

Craig