[e2e] TCP Loss Differentiation

Sergey Gorinsky gorinsky at arl.wustl.edu
Sat Feb 21 07:08:27 PST 2009

   Dear David and Fred,

   A small buffer offers small delay to delay-sensitive traffic.
Throughput-greedy traffic is served through another, bigger buffer
at a higher per-flow rate. The two-buffer forwarding gives
the senders complete freedom in choosing between
the two best-effort services of larger throughput versus
low queuing delay:

"RD Network Services: Differentiation through Performance Incentives"
by Maxim Podlesny and Sergey Gorinsky,
Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 2008, pp. 255-266, August 2008,
http://www.arl.wustl.edu/~gorinsky/pdf/RD_Services_SIGCOMM_2008.pdf

The architecture is an attempt at throughput-delay differentiation
designed explicitly for incremental deployment in the multi-provider
Internet.

   Thank you,

   Sergey