[e2e] Changing dynamics

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Feb 21 08:57:01 PST 2009

Most (not all) of these ideas seem to reflect the idea that we should
operate the net with a lot of internal buffering.

For example, if it were actually a frequent benefit to search  *partway
back towards the source* rather than all the way back, to find a packet
that was dropped because of a transient queue growing because of a burst
of cross traffic, then what would that mean?

It would mean that the packets are not transiting the network in the US
with little or no delay other than hops*packet size*line rate (which
could be helped by lower hops or smaller packets, or upping line rate,
no memory required).

I do think there is a virtue to moving replicated content closer to the
endpoints.  But that is a different thing, and has nothing to do with
routers and e2e protocols.  That thing has to do with what we were
debating a few weeks ago: what Van Jacobson calls "content centric
networks" or what Akamai does at the app layer, or my point about
communications not having to be about information that begins with the
assumption that information is in "one place".

- David