[e2e] TCP Loss Differentiation

Sergey Gorinsky gorinsky at arl.wustl.edu
Sat Feb 21 09:04:14 PST 2009

   Dear David,

   Freedom is exercised when available. Turning on the low-delay
service in some providers creates incentives for interactive
gaming and telephony applications to opt in, and puts pressure
on other providers to follow suit.

   By default, a throughput-greedy flow gets a twice higher rate
in the RD Network Services. The throughput ratio can be increased
for stronger incentives in selecting between the low-delay and
larger-throughput services.

   The benefits for throughput-greedy traffic from such forwarding
differentiation are in addition to those from potential improvements
in routing (to which you attribute the 50% underutilization of
the Internet aggregate throughput, I presume).

   Best regards,

   Sergey