[e2e] Changing dynamics

Lloyd Wood L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk
Sat Feb 21 12:36:07 PST 2009

On 21 Feb 2009, at 16:57, David P. Reed wrote:

> Most (not all) of these ideas seem to reflect the idea that we
> should operate the net with a lot of internal buffering.

That depends on where the control loops are.

Adding buffering within  a tight control loop is not always helpful.
Adding buffering between tight control loops is not always unhelpful.

(Delay-tolerant networking can make every hop a separate control loop,
rather than relying on an end-to-end control loop and benefits from
buffering.)

L.

DTN work: http://info.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/saratoga/

<http://info.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk>