[e2e] TCP Loss Differentiation

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Feb 23 17:34:54 PST 2009

The routers don't break.  The routers and middleboxes (by interfering
with delivery) break communications between endpoints.

They are not supposed to be blocking packets with IP and TCP options,
for example.  When they do, the rationale is some kind of silly
paternalistic argument.  But the IP and TCP options are there for a
reason.  If they are bad ideas, don't block them unilaterally, get the
IETF to decide that they should be removed from the standard.

The original "firewall" idea was introduced by Bellovin and Cheswick,
etc. because Unix folks had a bad attitude about security (accept
traffic on as many ports as possible and don't use secure root passwords).