[e2e] on protocol specification and TCP

Peter Sewell Peter.Sewell at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 27 06:20:51 PST 2009

Some readers of this list may recall our work on rigorous
specification of TCP and Sockets, from SIGCOMM 05 and POPL 06.  That
was a low-level specification of the protocol.  We've recently
produced a technical report containing a high-level specification, of
the service provided by TCP as seen by Sockets API clients, that
abstracts from those protocol details (an end-to-end specification in
a broad sense, if you will).  While surely not definitive, this may be
of some interest and use, in itself and as an example.  The urls and
abstract are below; comments would be welcome.

Peter (and Tom Ridge and Michael Norrish)

The technical report:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-742.html

The project page:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pes20/Netsem/index.html

Abstract:

Despite more than 30 years of research on protocol specification, the
major protocols deployed in the Internet, such as TCP, are described
only in informal prose RFCs and executable code. In part this is
because the scale and complexity of these protocols makes them
challenging targets for formal descriptions, and because techniques
for mathematically rigorous (but appropriately loose) specification
are not in common use.

In this work we show how these difficulties can be addressed. We
develop a high-level specification for TCP and the Sockets API,
describing the byte-stream service that TCP provides to users,
expressed in the formalised mathematics of the HOL proof
assistant. This complements our previous low-level specification of
the protocol internals, and makes it possible for the first time to
state what it means for TCP to be correct: that the protocol
implements the service. We define a precise abstraction function
between the models and validate it by testing, using verified testing
infrastructure within HOL. Some errors may remain, of course,
especially as our resources for testing were limited, but it would be
straightforward to use the method on a larger scale. This is a
pragmatic alternative to full proof, providing reasonable confidence
at a relatively low entry cost.

Together with our previous validation of the low-level model, this
shows how one can rigorously tie together concrete implementations,
low-level protocol models, and specifications of the services they
claim to provide, dealing with the complexity of real-world protocols
throughout.

Similar techniques should be applicable, and even more valuable, in
the design of new protocols (as we illustrated elsewhere, for a MAC
protocol for the SWIFT optically switched network). For TCP and
Sockets, our specifications had to capture the historical
complexities, whereas for a new protocol design, such specification
and testing can identify unintended complexities at an early point in
the design.