[e2e] Why Buffering?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Sun Jun 21 02:33:50 PDT 2009

David P. Reed wrote:
> Dave - This is variously known as Little's Theorem or Little's Lemma.
> The general pattern  is true for many stochastic arrival processes
> into queues.  It precedes Kleinrock, and belongs to queueing theory.

Little's Theorem can be easily applied in wired networks where a link's
capacity is easily expressed as "latency throghput product", often
referred to as "latency bandwidth product" which is in fact a bit sloppy.

The situation becomes a bit more complicated in wireless networks,
particularly WWAN, where the preconditions for Little's Theorem may not
hold, particularly the service time may not be stationary or stable.

I sometimes wonder about papers who claim quite impressive "latency
bandwidth products" for wireless networks - and actually the authors
simply miss the fact that the transportation system is highly occupied
by local retransmissions and that we have a relationship between average
service, average throughput and the average amount of data  being in flight.

I even remember a paper which claims latency bandwidth products for GPRS
in the range of MBytes IIRC.

At a first glance, I wondered where this huge amount of data would fit
onto the air interface ;-)

So, we should be extremely careful in applying Little's Theorem on WWAN.
As a consequence, we should even reconsider approaches like packet pair,
packet train and the like and whether they really hold in WWAN or
similar networks with highly volatile line conditions.

Detlef

--
Detlef Bosau		Galileistraße 30	70565 Stuttgart
phone: +49 711 5208031	mobile: +49 172 6819937	skype: detlef.bosau