[e2e] RES: Why Buffering?

Alexandre Grojsgold algold at rnp.br
Mon Jun 22 19:38:09 PDT 2009

Paddy,

I’m sorry, but I am afraid I have to strongly disagree with Antonov´s view
on buffer length needs, and perhaps with most people´s opinion on this list.

About buffer sizes on routers, I suggest you look for Nick McKeown’s
presentation “Buffers: How we fell in love with them, and why we need a
divorce”. It makes sense to me.

IMHO, most of you seem to make confusion between buffers needed at the
*ends* of a TCP connection, and buffers needed middle way.  At the ends,
where congestion is detected, and TCP anti-congestion mechanisms act, large
buffers are necessary when you want to obtain a high bit rate over a long
round trip delay path.

This has nothing to do with buffers within routers. A lot of flows flow
through a backbone router. Some of them have large BW, same have very little
BW. Some of them have very very far endpoints, some of them come from the
host in the other side of the town. The router has no clue on the BW.delay
product of each flow, and cannot buffer accordingly – supposing this could
help someway.

In his text, Antonov says that buffers add “inertia”. This does not seem
true. In physical systems, inertia is added by mass. Buffers are more like
springs. If you think of a car suspension, a buffer too long is like a
suspension too soft. Maybe good to isolate from road irregularities, but
quite unstable.

As buffers grow large, the information about congestion takes longer time to
come back to a TCP sender, what makes the system less stable (not more
stable), and more prone to oscillatory behavior.

My vision of what a router does: what a router sees are output interfaces,
with a  given bandwidth and some characteristics. Under light traffic, the
output queue will be almost always empty, at most with a sending packet and
another waiting. If the integration of multiple flows traversing that output
interface gets close to the maximum bandwidth of the interface, and the
system is  close to a stable situation, some probability distribution
function must exist that can describe the queue length. Without any
mathematical proof, I dare to say that the average queue length in this
condition should be of a few (less than 10?) packets. Some fluctuations can
occur due to slight changes in traffic load, and since that does not mean
“congestion”, there must be enough buffer to keep these few packets in the
game. But when the number of packets waiting to be transmitted rises above a
certain limit (20? 40?) packets, this is seen  by the router as sign that
there are more flows trying to cross that output interface than it can
accommodate. So
 time to start dropping some packets, and make a few
transmitting TCP guys to slow down. The buffer must  have the proper  size
to drop packets when there is a probable congestion, and do not drop packets
under normal fluctuations. Where does delay considerations get here? They
don’t.

n  Alexandre.