[e2e] RES: Why Buffering?

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 24 15:14:06 PDT 2009

of course if you have a bottleneck rate of R
and a max rate somewhere else of R-epsilon
and a receive ack rate of R-delta
then you can't exceed R by much either

so in reality, think of a DSL line with 8Mbps downlin and 384kbps
uplink speed (or throttling)
and a well-tempered network where the share of a bottlneck is close to
to the share of links either side....
then when you have a send window of W, you get W acks, which,
packet conservation allowing, lets you send W + W packets
but not in the same time - in some longer time (quite a lot
more than 1 RTT - if delta or epsilon are small)
so then your rate creeps slightly above the output rate of the
bottleneck share (indeed it may be another flow has fluctuted below
too in this time)

so exogeneous effects may mean you dont need BW*RTT at all of
buffering...

In missive <aa7d2c6d0906241030w323e17fax87929527846e7da7 at mail.gmail.com>, Lachl
an Andrew typed:

 cheers