[e2e] end2end-interest Digest, Vol 63, Issue 11

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Sat Jun 27 12:05:03 PDT 2009

S. Keshav wrote:
> If you have a fluid system, where a source send packets as packets of
> infinitesimal size evenly spaced apart, and if routers do not add
> burstiness, then there is no need for buffering.

Unfortunately, packet switching networks are anything but a fluid system.

Although there is a huge amount of literature which uses fluid flow
models for TCP/IP.

> Indeed, in the classical telephone network, where sources are 64kbps
> constant bit rate sources and switches do not add burstiness, we need
> only one sample's worth of buffering, independent of the
> bandwidth-delay product.

That's exactly the conflict of paradigms I mentioned in my other message
today ;-)

EE: fluid flow like, with scheduling, if possible "quasi synchronous".
CS: bursts are possible, there is no scheduling, the network may be as
asynchronous as it could be....

--
Detlef Bosau		Galileistraße 30	70565 Stuttgart
phone: +49 711 5208031	mobile: +49 172 6819937	skype: detlef.bosau