[e2e] TCP Loss Differentiation

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Mar 13 04:54:22 PDT 2009

David P. Reed wrote:

> My main point was that these loss processes are not characterizable by
> a "link loss rate".  They are not like Poisson losses at all, which
> are statistically a single parameter (called "rate"), memoryless
> distribution.  They are causal, correlated, memory-full processes.
> And more  importantly, one end or the other of the relevant link
> experiences a directly sensed "loss of connectivity" event.

Does anybody happen to have some good reference for this one? Something
like: "The failure of poisson modelling of mobile wireless links" or
something
simuilar?

What I have seen so far, simply assumes the contrary and uses Gilbert
Markov Models and the like.

Actually, this fails to model even a scenario where a user is waiting
for a bus at the bus station and talking to someone else with his mobile
and walks around a bit, one step to the left (broken connection) or to
the right (excellent connectivity).

Although this seems rather obvious to me, I don't know a paper, or a
well accepted text book, which explicitely states that Gilbert Markov
Models and the like are theoretically appealing, but do not reflect reality.

I would appreciate any hint here.

Detlef Bosau                          Mail:  detlef.bosau at web.de
Galileistrasse 30                     Web:   http://www.detlef-bosau.de
70565 Stuttgart                       Skype: detlef.bosau
Mobile: +49 172 681 9937