[e2e] TCP Loss Differentiation

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Mar 14 08:51:20 PDT 2009

The primary causality I was trying to reflect by that choice of words is
that in all systems there are large-scale causality relationships
(application layer or user layer, in most cases) that break the
fundamental assumption that there are a collection of memoryless
processes in the system.  These are really significant in most networks,
ignored by most models:

- users behave differently when networks get slow (they go to the cafe
or panic and start hitting keys harder and faster).

- wireless network transmissions are a primary source of noise to other
transmissions, so any correlations or dependence can get amplified when
noise causes retransmission by other nodes, causing more noise, ...  the
probability that wireless networks have modes of highly synchronizing
"resonances" that correlate rather than decorrelate signals is high -
and can be used to increase SNR by techniques like analog network coding
(zigzag, for example) if you realize that the phenomenon is not a noise
process at all, since it adds no uncertainty.

It's easy to create models full of independent, memoryless processes
that *appear* to the student (or full professor) to be valid because the
normal human reaction is to think that complexity is best modeled by
lots of randomness.  Complex systems are not random merely because they
are complex.  E.G., PRNG's are perfectly non-random.  It's a form of
mysticism to think that they are the same as true random processes
outside a very narrow domain of applicability, where they can add
insight.  This is where most engineering math practitioners get it
wrong.  Not knowing when your modeling approach fails... because you use
the "religion of your peers" (the NS2 wireless modeling toolkit, for
example, which teaches nothing about actual propagation and dependence
of noise).