[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Oct 23 08:38:09 PDT 2009

On 10/23/2009 08:39 AM, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> You could add the Broadcom chip sets to your list.  Not a protocol per
> se,
> but they inexplicably "handle" TCP segmentation.  Usually used in a host
> (bad enough in my opinion), but could create utter havoc in a router.
>
> So far, I've noticed:
>
>   NetXtreme II 1 Gigabit
>   Tigon 3
This is an interesting observation, but I don't understand what you mean.

Explain "handling TCP segmentation" please?   Exactly what chips do
that?   What exactly do they do in the chip?

The chips might do IP fragmentation, but I find it hard to see how they
could do TCP segmentation, unless of course they are acting as a host.
Nothing wrong with a chipset being a host, too (perhaps to present a
web, ssh or SNMP interface).