[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Lloyd Wood L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk
Fri Oct 23 12:02:59 PDT 2009

On 23 Oct 2009, at 18:52, David P. Reed wrote:

> Sorry -  I figured everyone on this list knew the paper itself,
> since it's cited all over the place, so I was being a little bit
> terse.  Anyway, one place you can get the original paper text is
> online at http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoend.pdf
>  .

Worth stressing that there are actually multiple revisions of that
paper.

J. Saltzer, D. Reed and D. Clark, ‘End-to-End Arguments in System
Design’, Second International Conference on Distributed Computing
Systems (April 1981) pages 509-512.

J. Saltzer, D. Reed and D. Clark, ‘End-to-End Arguments in System
Design’, ACM Transactions in Computer Systems, pp. 277-288, November
1984.
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/357401.357402

The version at Saltzer's webpages above is a third version, with page
numbering 1-10, but its footnote
on the first page is helpful at pointing out different versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-to-end_principle
could be better...

L.

DTN work: http://info.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/saratoga/