[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Oct 23 14:33:43 PDT 2009

Wikipedia article is not definitive.  In particular, none of the 3
authors wrote the wikipedia article.   In general, wikipedia does well
at some things, but I wouldn't trust it to read authors' words more
clearly than the authors themselves.

In particular: there was never an "end-to-end principle".  So if you get
the title wrong, why should we trust you to get the details right?

Indeed the original paper was presented at a conference, selected for
ACM TOCS (and revised to their standards), and the last, online version
is slightly different.  There was also a version that was circulated
prior to the 1981 conference among peers and friends - as was the
convention in the computer systems community - some of the examples in
the 1981 version were suggested during that phase.