[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Oct 24 07:12:24 PDT 2009

Since the moderator did not find a problem with Bennett's posting, I
will request his leave to address Bennett's ouvre and in particular this
particular posting in a more direct manner, since he has walked into
this *technical* forum with a variety of outrageous claims directed at
the motives of me and my co-authors.

On 10/23/2009 11:23 PM, Richard Bennett wrote:
> One of the more interesting unresolved questions about "End-to-End
> Args" is why it was written in the first place. Some people see it as
> a salvo in the ISO protocol wars, others as an attack in BBN's
> ARPANET, some as an attempt to criss the divide between engineering
> and policy, and there are probably other theories as well.
Richard Bennett spends a fair amount of his writing imputing motives to
people, and then using those motives to somehow impugn their credibility.
The above paragraph is such an example.  (Please note that I am just
stating a fact about his writing style.  You can read the paper he
submitted for lots of examples.  He has also imputed that Vint Cerf and
Bob Kahn "stole" the ideas for the Internet from Pouzin without proper
credit.

Now I don't know if he can read the minds of Jerry Saltzer, Dave Clark,
or myself in writing the original paper.   However the paragraph quoted
above is about the most ridiculous claim I have ever heard.  We wrote
the paper as an attempt to contribute to the art of architecting the
Internet, as I believe most of the people on this list would
understand.  However, Bennett has no shame.  He does, however act as a
troll.