[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Oct 24 20:59:04 PDT 2009

    > From: John Day <day at std.com>

    > It would be a little hard for the e2e paper in 1982 to be about the
    > CLNP/TP4 vs TCP/IP debate if half the debate didn't exist.

Umm, I didn't say that the E2E paper was about the CLNP/TP4 vs TCP/IP 'debate'
(competition would be more accurate, I think). You seem to be conflating my
comments on two entirely separate points.

One was that for _some_ of us, the only 'ISO protocol war' we saw was the
CLNP/TP4 vs TCP/IP competition.

The other was that the E2E paper was not principally intended as firepower in
the TCP/IP vs X.25 debate, but rather was more intended to be exactly what
the passage of time has shown it to be - a contemplation of the underlying
fundamentals of functionality placement, one which would be of lasting value.

	Noel