[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 27 00:35:36 PDT 2009

In missive <4AE66A1F.9000305 at bennett.com>, Richard Bennett typed:

 >>hippie and who isn't, not that it matters. An awful lot of the net neut
 >>issue is rehashing grievances against the defunct monopoly phone
 >>companies, which is all fine if one is into that sort of thing, just not
 >>quite relevant to the world we live in today.

yes but...

it was relevant _again_ for a while because of cellular phone
companies reluctance to do anything interesting in the
internet-stylee, but  after the iPhone did an end-run on
them, and android and half-dozen other smart phone
systems moved to an end-system app market independent
of provider, that problem went away...

for a while, i thought that ISPs might be evolving into
telcos too (its part of the territory)- but this
recent nanog talk encouraged me:

http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog47/presentations/Monday/Labovitz_Ob
serveReport_N47_Mon.pdf

btw, the "old hippie" tag is a bit off in terms of age and
location for some of us....for example, I'm a card carrying
london ex punk:)

(read "memoirs of a geezer" by jah wobble,
and you'll see that we are
closer in ethos to yippees, seein as we don't subscribe to
liberalism)

j.