[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 27 07:43:15 PDT 2009

I may fall down on relevance
(c.f. Deirdre Wilson & Dan Sperberr Relevance Theory, 1985)
but I think I am going to have to refer you to youtube:

	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SNHtKfDxlg

but anyhow, I suspect I am just as suspect as you
for what its worth...

this has to be set against the rabid free market libertarianism
fairly common in Internet Research circles from 1992 until the present
day, which is also extremely unrepresentative of the world...

In missive <4AE6F673.8080807 at reed.com>, "David P. Reed" typed:

 >>Is it the "aging" part or the "hippie" part that makes a person suspect?

 >>I could give you a list of labels that have been applied to me, in
 >>discussions of network technology, to conjure with as you like:
 >>
 >>corporate-type, libertarian, communist, hippie, net-nutter, past-it,
 >>ivory-tower, propellerhead, mere engineer, non-economist, naive,
 >>fuzzy-minded, ...
 >>
 >>I personally don't think such labels make a whit of difference.
 >>
 >>In fact, I am a member of AAAS, AARP, ACLU, ACM, and that's only the
 >>first four A's on the list of memberships.  Does that make a difference?
 >>
 >>It turns out that one of my ancestors (John Reed) arrived in Rhode
 >>Island in 1615, and another came to the US on Ellis Island.  One of my
 >>ancestors was at the battle of Lexington and Concord, and another was a
 >>Gibson Girl on 42nd street, having immigrated into the country.  My
 >>father can be seen in documentary footage shot on the USS Missouri
 >>during the Korean Conflict, and was in charge of designing many of the
 >>modern US Navy ships now in service.
 >>
 >>Do those things make a difference?
 >>
 >>I guess the fellow who is responsible for WiFi and UWB knows how to
 >>judge ideas by the person's lifestyle.
 >>
 >>And by the way, I'm neither aging (I'm 57, and can beat most people in
 >>arm-wrestling, if nothing else), nor a classic "hippie" (my views in
 >>those days tended toward a very different direction  - a mixture of
 >>systems design, AI, and math, mixed with stopping the Vietnam War and
 >>creating a free market of ideas).
 >>
 >>But so what if I were?

 cheers

   jon