[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Dave Eckhardt davide+e2e at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 27 19:57:38 PDT 2009

> [...] Ethernet only became dominant when we dumped CSMA/CD for
> the collision-free, flow controlled, full duplex switches that
> we use today.

In the two environments I'm familiar with, Ethernet had firmly
crowded out everything else (and there were other things: IBM
Token Ring, Corvus OmniNet, AppleTalk over PhoneNet, LattisNet,
etc.) when it was still half-duplex thin-net, which was replaced
by 10-megabit twisted-pair into hubs, *then* 100-megabit
twisted-pair into switches.

I think there were a lot of places where Ethernet was dominant
before switches... though maybe we're using different definitions
of "dominant"?  I think I mean something like "more than 90% of
desktops".

Dave Eckhardt