[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Oct 28 03:44:23 PDT 2009

Dave Eckhardt wrote:
>> [...] Ethernet only became dominant when we dumped CSMA/CD for
>> the collision-free, flow controlled, full duplex switches that
>> we use today.
>
> In the two environments I'm familiar with, Ethernet had firmly
> crowded out everything else (and there were other things: IBM
> Token Ring, Corvus OmniNet, AppleTalk over PhoneNet, LattisNet,
> etc.) when it was still half-duplex thin-net, which was replaced
> by 10-megabit twisted-pair into hubs, *then* 100-megabit
> twisted-pair into switches.

Yup.  "Ethernet" collision-free switches came quite a bit after real ethernet
dominated LANs.

(The quotations are because the former presents an Ethernet interface but not
Ethernet over the wire.  Thicknet, thin-net, and I believe the original versions
of twisted-pair, all used had the shared-access, collision-capable ethernet over
the wire.)

d/

--

   Dave Crocker