[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Oct 28 05:13:40 PDT 2009

On 10/28/2009 02:34 AM, Richard Bennett wrote:
> CSMA/CD Ethernet was simply a best-efforts LAN, but switched Ethernet
> is a QoS-capable WAN and facilities fabric as well; ever seen an
> Internet Exchange Point?  Big fat Ethernet switches sit at the heart
> of them, passing multiple packets at a time in parallel. It's a whole
> different concept of networking than the fat dumb pipe.

If I had seen an Internet Exchange point, what would looking at racks,
cables, power supplies, etc. tell me exactly?

And since the word "dumb pipe" is a construct largely used by operators
who use it to describe a "business model", and to explain the Internet
to Ted Stevens as a "series of tubes" but "not a dump-truck," what
contribution to Internet architecture is being made by this idiotic
thread now that Bennett has hooked people into his trolling rig?

"whole different kind of networking" is a really useful description -
it's up there with "carrier-grade" as a marketing concept that has no
content.

Bennett is *paid* by ITIF to throw out these kinds of statements,
calculated to get someone to extend a conversational diversion.  He is
not contributing technically on this list which is about technology and
architectural *research*.