[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Dave Eckhardt davide+e2e at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 28 08:09:05 PDT 2009

> 10 Mb/s Etherhet LAN switches arrived even before 100 Mb/s
> Ethernet was available, largely thanks to Kalpana (eventually
> bought by Cisco).

The original claim used (without definition) the word "dominant".
I proposed (without objection so far) the definition "90% of
desktops".  My counter-claim is that Ethernet was dominant (90%
of desktops) without the arrival of switches having been the
cause.  The existence of a small number of 10-megabit switches
doesn't force acceptance of one causal claim over the other.

So how about this update: "Ethernet was serving 90% of desktops
before 50% of those desktops were talking to switches"?

Dave Eckhardt