[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Wed Oct 28 20:15:48 PDT 2009

I had personally seen the source code to the IBM/Sytek protocols, under
NDA, for NETBIOS/SMB before RFC 1001/2 were written, which is one reason
I could only be a cheerleader for 1001/2. At Tandem we implemented an
SMB server under the T16's Guardian OS. SMB wasn't too hard to reverse
engineer, as the SAMBA guys found out; the IBM PC Network was harder, so
we used a PC with both PC Network and Ethernet cards as a bridge.

--
Richard Bennett
Research Fellow