[e2e] What's wrong with this picture?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Sun Sep 13 07:04:48 PDT 2009

Ken Calvert wrote:

>> Did I get you right: MSL = Maximum Segment Length?
>
> Sorry - Maximum Segment Lifetime.

As ist was said before... sorry....

However, the story remains the same. What is the reason to keep a
segment in the network that long?

Is it a wireless link between the earth and the moon, where it takes
some time for a packet to travel the whole distance?
Or is it a recovery layer who does endless retransmissions on link layer?

Now, when a packet gets dropped/corrupted on the way, the packet needs
retransmission. There's no discussion about that. The question is,
whether the retransmission is to be done locally or end-to-end.

Perhaps, this does not make really a difference for a _single_ TCP
connection on a _dedicated_ path / link.

However, for mobile terminals in a cellular network, it make a huge
difference whether a base station deals quite some minutes with one
packet (as we see this in GPRS) and several terminals are not even
serviced, or whether the effort on L2 remains in reasonable limits.

--
Detlef Bosau		Galileistraße 30	70565 Stuttgart
phone: +49 711 5208031	mobile: +49 172 6819937	skype: detlef.bosau