[e2e] Future Internet Engineering

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Mar 1 14:45:15 PST 2010

Jon - excellent piece.

I agree that the mania around the Future Internet (especially the idea
that we MUST have a Clean Slate) seems to have been a temporary reaction
by a research community to a funding structure problem, or perhaps a
process of Bandwagon Joining by people who saw a new bandwagon that
seemed to have political traction.

Bandwagons and Clean Slates are rhetorical moves that can have enormous
value in shaking a clogged bureaucratic process - so there's not
necessarily anything wrong with them, but they have indeed become
unlikely to produce "good science" or "good engineering" or anything
else, now that they are no longer shaking anything up.

That said, the idea that one might be able to solve problems without
Waiting for Obama or Waiting for IETF or Waiting for Copenhagen is one
of the inspiring things about the Internet in comparison to the idea
that one must Wait for DARPA or Wait for NSF to fund a zillion CS and EE
departments.

We might be able to start a small skunk works to think about
decentralized solutions to managing the energy flux that impinges on the
geosystem, to both avoid absorbing too much energy and disrupting the
planet's inhabitants, while at the same time providing support for 10
Billion future inhabitants.

That might be based on a few principles of the sort you describe, and an
approach that doesn't require top-down agreement by all the stakeholders
who want to control it.

Hmmm....