[e2e] TCP implementations in various OS's

rick jones perfgeek at mac.com
Wed May 12 07:55:43 PDT 2010

On May 12, 2010, at 2:30 AM, Detlef Bosau wrote:
> And although I expect M$ to furiously contradict here, I think
> window scaling should be discouraged for terrestrial TCP sessions.
> The case where 65536 bytes are not sufficient here is extremely
> rare  - in all other cases the one guy sitting in Berkeley
> maintaining a TCP session to a node in Hamburg will eventually
> exploit the queue memory of intermediate nodes - and will cause
> severe grief for all competing users.

I'm arriving late to the discussion - perhaps data centers and LANs
were not included in your set of terrestrial TCP sessions and I'm but
providing fodder for "TCP as the one true protocol is bad" school of
thought, but it has been my experience thusfar that over a 10 Gbit/s
Ethernet LAN, TCP needs 128KB or more of window to achieve reasonable
throughput.  Get much more than 1 ms of delay in the LAN or data
center and even that is insufficient.

rick jones
Wisdom teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events