[e2e] Taking RTT Samples.

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Aug 1 03:41:07 PDT 2011

Hi to all.

I'm curious whether we  shall take RTT Samples for each segment or not.
AFAIK, the RFC encourage one RTT timer, which is started at least once a
round.

An alternative way would be one timer per segment.

I'm curious how the K&P algorithm is best implentet in these cases.

 From what I see in the literature, it is not yet clear whether one
timer per round is preferable or one timer per segment. My particular
interest are however WWAN, so the basic question is, whether we have
something like "weak stationary RTT" in that case or not.

At least the problem addressed by K&P should be solved by RFC 1323 RTTM.
Is this correct? If so, the problem were, whether the SRTT and RTTVAR
estimator are appropriate in this case and whether the gains are reasonable.

I would appreciate any discussion here.

Detlef

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30