[e2e] Spurious Timeouts, Fact or Fake?

Emmanuel Lochin emmanuel.lochin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 10:45:12 PDT 2011

Hi Detlef,

I think the study on spurious timeout you cite cannot be transposed to
the Internet.
If you look at :

Sharad Jaiswal, Gianluca Iannaccone, Christophe Diot, James F. Kurose,
Donald F. Towsley,
Measurement and classification of out-of-sequence packets in a tier-1
IP backbone.
IEEE/ACM Trans. Netw. (TON) 15(1):54-66 (2007)

the authors show that 40% of the links present in their dataset
effectively reorder
packets (might due to load balancing, multiple network paths, dynamic
route generation and link bonding).

Emmanuel

On 3 August 2011 16:08, Detlef Bosau <detlef.bosau at web.de> wrote:
> During the recent past, this list has seen quite some few posts regarding
> TCP RTT measurement.
>
> Now, first of all, I was interested in how often RTT measurments shall be
> made and how they can be made. A particular concern is Karn's Algorithm,
> because to my understanding, the consequence of Karn's algorithm is that RTT
> measurements obtained by a single RTT timer can be taken only when a sender
> has no outstanding duplicate packets.
>
> Perhaps, I'm wrong here.
>
> However, from what I've read so far, it is not yet completely clear, how
> often RTT measurements should be made. The alternatives discussed so fare
> are:
> - once round,
> - each packet.
>
> While the latter appears appealing to me, particularly when implemented with
> time stamps (RFC 1323), which overcomes the problems discussed by Karn &
> Partridge regarding the problem of packets being sent more than once, some
> literature indicates problems with the SRTT estimator when time stamps are
> in use.
>
> Now, the whole discussion is somewhat confusing to me.
>
> 1.: Spurious Timeouts are confusing to me, because spurious timeouts (i.e. a
> packet which is well successfully transmitted, however the ACK does not
> reach the sender on time) are basically expected by Edges paper and the
> literature based upon this. However, there are papers around, which put the
> mere existence of spurious timeouts in question, e.g.
> author = "Francesco Vacirca and Thomas Ziegler and Eduard Hasenleithner",
> title="{TCP Spurious Timeout estimation in
> an operational GPRS/UMTS network}",
> month="May",
> year="2005",
> journal = "Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien
> Technical Report
> FTW-TR-2005-008"
> }
> , while others give detailed recommendations how to deal with spurious
> timeouts in practical implementations, e.g.
> http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-allman-rto-backoff-02
>
> However, to me the problem seems closely coupled to the underlying question
> whether or not we can estimate the expectation and variance of the RTT in a
> TCP session. Edge requires the according stochastic process to be weakly
> stationary. In other words: In a TCP session, once having started and being
> run for some settling time, the observerd RTT shall be, at least roughly,
> identically distributed.
>
> This distribution should be subject to only very slow and very rare change,
> if at all.
>
> And accourding to RFC 2988, we can obtain SRTT and RTTVAR by RTT samples
> using the well known EWMA estimators for this purpose.
>

> So, my questions are:
>
> 1.: How often shall RTTM be made?
> 2.: Is it reasonable to assume "weakly stationary" RTTs as done by Edge?
> 3.: Are the EWMA filters from RFC 2988 satisfactory, particularly are these
> [...]

"This email and any attachments are confidential. They may contain legally
privileged information or copyright material. You should not read, copy, use
or disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an intended
recipient, please contact us at once by return email and then delete both
messages. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus,
data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised
amendment. This notice should not be removed"