[e2e] Rationale for EWMA filters in RTTM

Anoop Ghanwani anoop at alumni.duke.edu
Fri Aug 5 16:20:38 PDT 2011

Have you looked at RFC 6298?  Based on your last email
it looks like you were reading an obsoleted RFC.

I don't think this timer needs to be super accurate since
it kicks in only when duplicate ACKs don't already solve
the problem, e.g. under severe forward or reverse congestion
because of which ACKs aren't making it back.

Having it be a moving average just allows us to pick an
initial value that could be terribly wrong for the environment
(data center at one end, satellite links at the other end)
and we still find a reasonable value after a few RTT.