[e2e] TCP Performance with Traffic Policing

Marco Mellia mellia at tlc.polito.it
Fri Aug 12 09:16:38 PDT 2011

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the TCP testing mess :)
 From my experience:
- do consider buffering policies. It's much more critical than anything else
- to this extent, do not trust delay generators: they have to buffer
packets, and sometimes the buffer they have is simply too small so that
they end up adding a huge loss probability.
- same for shapers buffering and algorithms. How big is the buffer?
- similarly, do not trust iperf too much. Especially the window
parameter is very fuzzy in my experience.

Another hint: avoid connecting gbps links to arrive to a bottleneck
which is 2 order of magnitude slower. that means that 100 packets arrive
at the congested buffer while only 1 packet can exit. As you can
imagine, the burstiness makes everything worse...

FYI, we have done similar tests, and got similar results. I can forward
then to you if you like.

Hope this helps,
Marco