[e2e] TCP Performance with Traffic Policing

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Aug 19 06:29:11 PDT 2011

On 08/12/2011 09:37 PM, Barry Constantine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let me provide better background information.
>
> End-customers (business companies) purchase a network service from a network provider and purchase a Service Level Agreement (SLA).  This SLA specifies the committed information rate (CIR) which the provider will guarantee along with loss / latency specifications.

That's in fact the traditional scenario of, e.g., a Frame Relay link as
it is done for years now.

Once again my question: How is traffic policing achieved here?

> The end customer connects up either with 100M or 1G interface (generally) and the provider generally polices down to the CIR.

Not quite. CIR means particularly: the _least_ information rate.

That's the reason why I ask for the policing algorithm.

I'm particularly afraid that the algorithm in use may cause a lot of
packet order distortion.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937