[e2e] Linux TCP

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Aug 19 11:33:15 PDT 2011

On 08/19/2011 06:50 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2011, at 12:09 PM, Detlef Bosau wrote:
>
>> An operating system which is widespread for everyday use must not be
>> abused as an experimental box for tests which belong to a lab. And
>> anything what is to be deployed in the Internet should take his way
>> to the usual discussions and standardization bodies.
>
> Strongly disagree.  It should not be presumed that standardization
> bodies do no harm or have a monopoly on competence.

Both is to be presumed by definition. Period.

>  Nor is it acceptable for standards bodies to be able to exert control
> over everything that happens in the Internet.

I don't intend to discuss what is acceptable or not.

I simply state the importance of standardization bodies, both in factual
and legal competence as well.

> Everything deployed in the Internet is experimental to some degree,

The Internet is used amongst others by prorfessional commercial users
who have agreed certain LSAs with their ISP.

These users expect - and deserve - service as agreed.

A computer scientist building a computer network has to act with
precisely the same sense of responsibility and thoroughness as a civil
engineer who builds the akashi kaikyo bridge. If he cannot do so, he
should choose a profession adequate to his attitude. (And when you talk
to civil engineers in Germany, you are frequently reminded that Konrad
Zuse was civil engineer.)

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937