[e2e] query on behaviour of tcp_keepalive and tcp retransmit on Linux based systems

Yan Cai ycai at ecs.umass.edu
Tue Feb 22 06:55:13 PST 2011

Hi

According to your description, the expected behavior should be as follows.
At the beginning senders at one side can send data to the receivers at
the other side, and the receivers can receive data without any problem.
When some of the receivers become off-line, the affected senders should
no long receive positive acknowledgments, therefore, lowering their
congestion windows (i.e., sending rate). Since in your case the receiver
is off forever, some senders should further experience timeout events.
After a few timeouts, the sender should CLOSE this connection itself.

As far as I know, the whole procedure above should be automatically
invoked in the sender side. This is how TCP (sender) handles exceptions.

My suggestion is that you run a simple experiment on your side to see if
TCP in your machine can work that way. The test can be done using i-perf
to send a long long live TCP flow, and then take off the receiver in the
middle of the transmission. The connection is expected to be closed very
soon after the receiver is off.

Hope it helpful.
Yan