[e2e] [tcpm] RTTM + timestamps

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Jan 17 18:04:05 PST 2011

For congestyion control purposes, it seems like the proper figure to use
should factor out queuing along the current path.

That is, since the ideal equilibrium state of the system is to have the
average packet queue depth in each "bottleneck"* node between source and
destination be 1 packet, the RTT on which one should base congestion
management should be the RTT that would be achieved if the system were
at that state.

If you base RTT on the current cumulative queue-backlog across all
nodes, you end up creating a positive-feedback control loop where the
queues grow, making the RTT longer, which encourages more packets to be
pushed into the queues, making the RTT longer, ...

Positive-feedback control loops are unstable in a very bad way.  You
will end up pinning the end-to-end latency at the largest possible value.

The proper design of the congestion control in the Internet should
always push the system to minimize backlog on every queue in the
system.  The average queue length should always converge (quickly) to
<=1 packet over all paths.  Otherwise, the system is in a congestive
degraded state.

I feel weird having to say this, but it appears that the "conventional
wisdom" all too often assumes that "throughput" will be optimized by
building up queues in every router and switch.  That is not correct.
Beyond one packet in the bottleneck links, throughput becomes quite
unstable.

* a "bottleneck" link (for the purposes of my point in the email) is the
link or link(s) along a path that sustain the lowest data rate of all
links on that path.  Typically there is one bottleneck link, but in some
cases (where there are chains of links that carry the same data rate)
there may be two or more.

This is easily seen as the "optimal pipelining" model of scheduling jobs.

/WWW: http://www.reed.com/dpr/