[e2e] TCP Timeouts and TripleDupACK

anil@cmmacs.ernet.in anil at cmmacs.ernet.in
Fri Jul 22 10:03:07 PDT 2011

Hi,

We all agree that recovery of lost data packet through RTO mechanism is
relatively much slower and triple ACK scheme can do the job faster.
However, there are scenarios in which triple ACKs may not get triggered at
all. This can happen if packet loss occurs when  IW is small, and hence
there are not adequate data packets in flight to trigger triple ACKs.

Example:  connection is in the beginning of slow start either because it
is a new connection or because it is restarting after a long idle period.

So, it would be difficult to completely do away with timeouts.

Anil