[e2e] Reasons not to deply TCP BIC/Cubic

Neil Davies neil.davies at pnsol.com
Wed Nov 30 06:43:07 PST 2011

Saverio

Do you have an idea of the sensitivity of the implementation to burst
loss? Is this something that you captured/measured? Is this a
condition that this implementation of TCP exacerbates?

The reason I ask this is that we have experience of measuring large
scale networks in some detail (down to the contribution to the loss
and delay at different components in the system) and we are observing
that there burst loss is occurring - under some circumstances the loss
can be a complete window size (which then appears to cause the sender
to wait for a timeout).

I could understand that more aggression would lead to greater RTT (and
greater RTT leads to longer recover times from certain events) - it is
filling the critical bottleneck with more packets, hence more delay.

Although TCP BIC/Cubic may appear neutral when measuring throughput -
is it neutral when that TCP session is being used for other purposes
other than simple bulk data transfer? (e.g. a block transfer of video
content)

Cheers

Neil