[e2e] Delivery times in mobile networs? Re: Are there any persons interested in TCP over mobile wireless networks in Germany?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Dec 13 02:40:37 PST 2012

And particularly to networks:

In HSDPA, we often see channel coding changes between one transmission
block and the following one.

Compared to, say, Ethernet, this would be analogous to swapping
interfaces from Ethernet (10 Mbit/s), FE, GE or even 10GE. Not only
between one packet and the following one but even faster, because in
mobile networks IP packets may well be split up into several
transmission blocks.

When we think of wired networks, many of us will hardly see an "internal
relationship" between observed RTT, when the interfaces are changed. And
estimating an expectation for the observed RTT from observations with
different hardware would surely be rejected because we compare peaches
and oranges in a case like this.

Actually, in TCP there are two ways to handle this situation: Either,
the RTT drops. Then, after some time, the RTT estimation in a TCP socket
drops as well. And will (hopefully) settles after some time. (That's,
what is covered by "weakly stationary" or "quasi stationary" by Edge.)
Or the RTT exhibits a drastic increase. In that case, we are likely to
see a timeout  - and the situation is salvaged by the timer backoff
proposed, IIRC, by Karn & Partridge. So, we simply drop the existing RTO
because it is no longer useful as a confidence interval for RTT. We drop
the existing RTO, we typically drop the estimations for RTT and RTTVAR
as well and do timer backoff, until we observe successfull packet
transmissions, re-initialize RTT and RTTVAR and return to normal operation.

Am 13.12.2012 10:04, schrieb Detlef Bosau:
> Just as an illustration: EWMA filters are used for the analysis of
> time series.
>
> And I think all of us are very well aware of typical artefacts in the
> analysis of time series, the most prominent of which are certainly
> aliasing phenomena.
> ("Backward spinning wheels in movies.")

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30