[e2e] Delivery times in mobile networs? Re: Are there any persons interested in TCP over mobile wireless networks in Germany?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Dec 13 07:21:48 PST 2012

Am 13.12.2012 15:57, schrieb Jim Gettys:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Eggert, Lars <lars at netapp.com
> <mailto:lars at netapp.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Dec 12, 2012, at 16:38, Detlef Bosau <detlef.bosau at web.de
>     <mailto:detlef.bosau at web.de>> wrote:
>     > My central question at the moment is: Do we have stationary
>     packet delivery times on mobile wireless links?
>
> Not sure what you mean by "stationary".
>
> This crossed my radar screen:
>
> http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2012/paper/cellnet/p1.pdf

Thanks for the hint. This is not exactly what I had in mind, however it
is extremely closely related. I.e. at a very first glance, non
stationary delivery times can result in a buffer bloat phenomenon.

To bring it to a simple point (Lachlan, please don't hurt me..... ;-)):
The typically "serialization delay" which is typically used in network
simulators is simply wrong for mobile networks. It is SIMPLY WRONG to
use "constant rates" for mobile networks,

- first because in mobile networks net data rates may change (sometimes
several times within the transport of one single IP packet), for
adaptation reasons,
- second because mobile networks often employ opportunistic scheduling
algorithms which may cause a channel getting no service for some period
of time,
- third because mobile networks typically employ some kind of recovery
layer with automatic retransmission.

So the simple "serialization and delivery" of a packet of, say, 1024
bytes length in GPRS may last from 7 seconds to 375 seconds according to
the relevant ETSI standards. There may be other delays than the
mentioned ones and the issue is perhaps much more complex than I said,
however one must not, as in wired networks, take a net data rate of,
e.g., 10 MBit/s and 1024 byte and expect a "serialization delay" and
think the "serialization delay" were 891,2 microseconds.

Actually, even the values taken from the standard are 0,95 quantiles. So
the "serialization" delay may last much longer, it is even possible that
the packet is not delivered at all and hence stays in the queue forever.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau