[e2e] Delivery Times .... was Re: Bandwidth, was: Re: Free Internet & IPv6

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Dec 26 14:48:55 PST 2012

Am 25.12.2012 04:19, schrieb dpreed at reed.com:

> Indeed, bandwidth is now meaningless as a term, just as "broadband"
> is.   Once upon a time, both referred to bounds on the frequency
> components of the physical layer signal, both in wires (twisted pair,
> coax, etc) and in RF.   The RF bandwidth of 802.11b DSSS modulation
> was about 10 MHz, whereas the bitrate achieved was about 2 Mb/sec.
> Now we use OFDM modulation in 802.11n, with bandwidths of 40 MHz more
> or less, but bitrates of >> 40 Mb/sec.   (yes, that is mostly because
> of 64-QAM, which encodes 6 bits on each subcarrier within an OFDM
> "symbol").
>
> What causes the 802.11n MAC protocol to achieve whatever bitrate it
> achieves is incredibly complex.   Interestingly, in many cases the
> problem is really bad due to "bufferbloat" in the 802.11n device
> designs and drivers, which causes extreme buildup of latency, which
> then causes the TCP control loops to be very slow in adapting to new
> flows sharing the path.

And this refers directly to my original question.

May I put it in very simple words.

In mobile networks (let's include wifi there) a packet is either
reliably delivered - in unpredictable time.
Or it is unreliably delivered - that is possible in predictable time.

Can we agree upon that?

I still want to write my research proposal. However, I'm tired to get it
rejected after exactly these two lines.

Detlef

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30