[e2e] Delivery Times .... was Re: Bandwidth, was: Re: Free Internet & IPv6

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Dec 28 05:01:51 PST 2012

I've just read a little bit on LTE.

Certainly, the bandwidth is increased: Depending on the spectrum in use,
it may not be 5 MHz (as in UMTS) but 20 MHz.
As we all know Shannon-Hartley's theorem, data rate is only linearly
increased by the bandwidth decrease, however, the is a logarithmic
dependency on the noise. Hence, the more drastic increase of the net
data rate will not be achieved by a bandwidth increase but by more
aggressive line coding,
e.g. 64 QAM (or even 256 QAM in the future?) instead of 16 QAM or QPSK
as it is used today. In addition. MIMO techniqures are used.

The good news is: Using LTE, "good" channels can be better utilized than
now.

The bad news is: The system dynamics will become more complex than now
and TCP's congestion control, which does not work well with GPRS,
will likely work even worse.

May I ask a somewhat provoking question? Could it be that many of the
buffer bloat problems, we frequently talk about, are not "buffer bloat"
- but unhandled (or wrongly handled) congestion collapses? (And we can
well say: "Corruption collaps", because both, congestion loss and
corruption loss will require packets to be retransmitted and hence may
cause network instability, when wrongly handled.)

Detlef

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937