[e2e] Traffic Burstiness Survey

Monia Ghobadi monia at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Sep 7 22:53:09 PDT 2012

Dear E2E members,

I am a PhD student at University of Toronto and I am working on traffic
burstiness in data centers. In the following I am asking two questions to
raise motivation for my research. I appreciate if anyone could answer these
questions to their best knowledge. *The questions are:*

1) ‘Bursty’ is a word with no agreed meaning. How do you define a bursty
traffic?
2) If you are involved with a data center, is your data center traffic
bursty?
    -- If yes,
        -- Do you think that it will be useful to supress the burstiness in
your traffic? (For example by pacing the traffic into shorter bursts)
    -- If no:
        -- Are you already supressing the burstiness? How?
         -- Would you anticipate the traffic becoming burstier in the
future?

Thanks,
Monia

Monia Ghobadi